Monday, January 31, 2011

Light box

First project of the semester! -- Make a 12x12x18" box with one open panel that is white on the inside.  Then figure out how to manipulate light so that it divides the box into four spaces.

I used foam board in order to make my box, and the first thing I could think of is How could I manipulate foam board in order to create a light effect?  My first idea was to carve out the foam board so that there was only a really thin layer left.  The plan was to have the box look like nothing was done to it on the inside, but then when light was shun on it, it would have a pretty light effect.  I carved 4 sides of the box so that there was a sense of fourness on each side.



I realized I had to use natural light once my box was made because I needed a very LARGE light source that could shine equally on all four sides of the box.

Outside section of the box- against natural light (window)
Inside section of the box against natural light (this is how it would look inside of the box, on four sides)
Once we had critique I realized that my idea did not really separate the whole space into four sections.  Really, it separated the space into sixteen or seventeen spaces.  So I tried to use the same idea (the carving) but focus more on getting four sections or parts.

I switched the design so that only one side had cuts in it, and then hoped that they would reflect onto the other sides.  Also, some sections were cut all the way through while others were just carved.



I could not decide whether I wanted to put the cut side faced on the top or if I wanted to put it on the side.  Eventually I decided to put it on the side, and that's when I added bristle board purely to separate the sections.

Light effect with the cut outs on the top
Light effect with the cut outs on the side

No comments:

Post a Comment