Sunday, May 1, 2011

ST. MARYS RENEVATION! A WRITERS RETREAT!

Our assignment was to create a space in an existing building located in College Hill- a historic neighborhood of Greensboro, NC.  We began our exploration by visiting, drawing, and getting to know the space inside.  Once we were aware of the floor plan, the historic guidelines (the can and can nots of the building) we began our interior designing!  
We were asked to come up with an overall design concept.  For me, I typically do that anyway- and my design concept was WATER.  At first I thought this was because of the CALM feel that water gives off, but I realized that it wasn't calm at all..I subconciously designed through water because of the progression of energy and productivity that the presense of FLOWING water can give a person.
I utilized CURVE throughout my floor plan in order to help me come up with ideas all throughout the project.  My colors were mostly blues, grays, and creams.  Here are the final compositions of the boards, plus closer up views of each drawing:

Board 1- Floor plan, and Floor Plan of the Inspiration Platform

Closer view of the Kitchen (Top) and Bedroom (Bottom)

Closer view of the bottom layer- the Conference/ Meeting with Student Space, as well as the Public Bathroom.  I utilized curve even to create the desk where students meet with the Writer.

Closer view of the Public Reading Space/ Living Space.  I once again used curve to find the couches, as well as the multifunctional tables that I termed "light boxes" because they give off light in the room, can be sat on to seat the larger amount of people during readings, and also can be used as a coffee table to write on.
2nd Final Composition Board- Longitudinal Section Elevation of the entire space, as well as a Section showing the Kitchen in more detail.

Closer view of the Bedroom.  The bedroom has a hallway leading into it (the door on the far left) and then there are grand curved steps that lead up to the King Size bed that is located under the half dome (which was originally in the St. Marys building and used as the alter)  The part of the wall on the right that is not poched is where Stained Glass has been put in (and can be seen in later drawings)  There are also windows in the domed area so as to not block the sleeper from all light and to provide them with a more open sense of space.

Closer view of the reading/conference room, inspirational platform, and the Public Reading space.  This drawing also shows the large "room divider" and the lighting.  The wave-like looking piece separating the living space and the back rooms serves as an artistic room divider.  It also serves as continuation of the flow of the stairs (located behind it in this drawing but can be seen with the dotted hidden lines)  I wanted something artistic and organic in my house that could be there for aesthetic purposes and just to inspire and allow the writer to think in an abstract manner.  They are steel sheets that are each about 6" thick and range in length and shorten as they get closer to the left wall (the wall that has been cut out in this drawing)  The steel also continues back underneath the platform space where it creates a wavy pattern on the ceiling of the Conference room.  The lighting is modern chandeliers which are blue and white in color and have a dimmer as to create a darker night time feel in the Reading room, but can be turned up when writing or "living" in that space.  These lights are seen throughout the house.

Section view of the Kitchen.  The kitchen is left simple, but much more open and larger than it was originally.  There is an island in the middle with seating around it to write as well as a circular table on the left side where writers can also sit with a cup of coffee.  The entrance to the bedroom is also located in this room through a hallway.

Floor Plan of the Inspirational Platform.  The person goes up the stairs and sees a room full of body shaped couches/chairs made from upholstery foam.  The stained glass shows through (since it shares that wall with the bedroom) and there are chandaliers up there as well.  There is a stepping stone path leading the whole way across so the person can lounge anywhere they would like.  This room is simply to serve as a get away and that is why it is located higher than the other rooms and the person can lounge and think in any form they wish.

Here is a one point perspective of the Bedroom, showing the colors and textures of the space, as well as the curved steps and the bed located under the half-dome, and the stained glass on the back wall (which is suppose to resemble water)  The carpet is a shag carpet and the floor is gray and hard.  The walls are also a light gray, and the same modern tube-like chandaliers are seen in the bed chamber.  Around the corner (where the long curtain is) is where the OPEN closet is located.  There is a vanity table (barely seen) back there as well as poles for clothes and curtains that cover these clothes to protect it from the sun coming in from windows.  The bathroom is located right across from the open closet but is not seen in this perspective.

Here is a perspective of the Steel sheets that separate the three Publicly used rooms.  This is also my Two Point Perspective taken from an aerial view.

This is a one point perspective of the Public Reading room drawn from where the person would read to an audience. (right in front of the Steel sheets)

My own extra words:  I absolutely LOVED this project.  It was our first entire space that we were assigned to design, and it was definitely a challenge.  However, I didn't mind slaving away to do it because it was fascinating being able to come up with a space completely designed by ME.  And now I wish it could actually be built so I could see what works and what doesn't work anddd how AMAZING it is! ;)
I do wish I would have done more perspective and section drawings though because during my critique it was difficult for a lot of people to understand the concept of the Water fall structure.  It was actually a weird idea to me at first too and I went to my teacher and said "hey I have an idea and it's either a hit or a miss but I really like it" and he helped me to structure the idea a little although I still think it was a hit/miss for several people.  Mostly a hit though I think! Some people said it took up too much space, and I'd have to agree that there could be a way for me to get across the same artistic/ abstract idea in a less extreme or space taking way.  Next time I'll have to slave away just a little extra to get my idea across better. 
I am very proud of my project though and I actually can't wait to get started on the next space! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment